Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Favorite band that maybe I don't like....

Question:  What artist has the curious, possibly dubious, distinction of being responsible for the most albums in my collection WITHOUT having any representation whatsoever in the Top 500?  And...why?

I first thought about this upon ordering the the song representation by artist and seeing how well this matched my personal intuitions about my "favorite bands".  The analysis showed an excellent degree of alignment.  "Most Songs" - truly an honor in the Top 500 canon - go to:
  • Swervedriver - 9 songs
  • The Beatles - 9 songs
  • The Clash - 7 songs
  • REM - 7 songs
  • U2 - 6 songs
  • Pink Floyd - 6 songs
  • Radiohead - 4 songs
  • Arcade Fire, Led Zeppelin, Mercury Rev, Nick Drake, Simon & Garfunkel, Smashing Pumpkins, The Smiths - all at 4 songs each.
Swervedriver, Beatles, the Clash, REM, U2....yes it all makes sense...these are my most loved and cherished artists, and roughly in that order....even though U2 betrayed me to mediocrity many years ago.

I was a little surprised by Pink Floyd because it is very rare that I like a Pink Floyd album beginning to end. The Wall is the exception.  Rabid Floyders will cry a river about Darkside, but whatever -- yes it's great, but it never should have received the timeless accolades that it did.  I will never understand.  Radiohead and Zeppelin seem low to me, and I feel like an injustice has been done to them somehow.

What is also slightly surprising is how mainstream all these bands are (with Swervedriver as the one exception) - provided one is at least slightly aware of indie rock history in addition to regular rock radio.  I thought I was a little more obscure than this.  There might be a lesson here -- the greatest bands in rock history, from the point of view of the masses, are actually quite amazing, according to me.  Who would have guessed?

But then I started looking at my record collection.  It was difficult to miss the fact that I own 13 albums, EPs, and singles by Belle and Sebastian, but could only squeeze in one paltry song in the Top 500 (#396 "The Boy with the Arab Strap").  I love Belle and Sebastian!  Don't I?

So I looked again and asked the question:  From what artist do I own the most records with no Top 500 representation?


I have the answer.  I own 6 albums by the second-wave Elephant Six act and fuzzy psych-folkers, Elf Power.   Elf Power is like the JK Simmons of my music collection.  They are ubiquitous, usually pleasing and at least serviceable in their roles, but nothing to lose your mind over.

You know what it is, though?  I saw Elf Power open for the Olivia Tremor Control at the Horseshoe in Toronto and picked up their handmade, limited edition covers Ep Come On from their merch table.  When I got home I discovered there was no CD inside.  I called their label and they were gruff about it.  A band member eventually emailed me and said they would send out a replacement.  It never came.   I think I have negative feelings for them on a subconscious level for this reason, because they not only fucked me out of a record I paid for, they fucked me out of a rare, limited edition record.

Why did I keep buying Elf Power records?  Maybe I was looking for a band to replace the irreplaceable Neutral Milk Hotel.  Maybe I thought all E6 bands had that potential.  I kept buying the albums and I kept liking them alright.  But in retrospect, six is just too much.  And I should have seven.

Here. Have a listen to Elf Power.  They're great, almost, in an uninspiring sort of way. Although not Top 500 material.

No comments:

Post a Comment